February is a great month to show appreciation for those you care about. We’ve been so happy since 2004 when Charlie Barber joined the Flow Tech team, that we thought it fitting to make him the employee feature of such a loving month. Charlie graduated from college with an Associates Degree in Electrical Engineering and went to work as an electrician right out of school. He spent a good chunk of his career working as a licensed electrician, until we scooped him up.
Charlie came on board to lend his electrical expertise to our service department. Today he works as our Lead Field Technician and Project Manager for our major projects. It is his knowledge, organization and involvement that help us stay on track. Charlie is one of the seven service technicians that have earned us such a sterling reputation in the field. His expertise of building controls is invaluable. Thanks to him we’ve installed, started-up and serviced hundreds of commercial HVAC and building control products and systems. We hope that today’s post provides you with more insight into one for Flow Tech’s finest…
1. What made you decide to pursue and technical construction career?
There were a lot of good jobs at the time, it seemed to be interesting and challenging.
2. What made you decide to go into HVAC/Building Controls specifically?
I started in electrical/electronic engineering at college, then went into the electrical field and became a licensed electrician. I went to work in the building controls industry and have been there for over 25 years.
3. What Technical College did you go to?
Waterbury State Technical College
4. What do you like best about working in this industry?
Learning new technologies and making them function properly.
5. How many years have you been in the industry?
About 28 years.
6. What made you decide to accept your position with Flow Tech?
In a previous position, the company I worked for had a business relationship with Flow Tech, Inc. I knew and worked with Kevin and Rich frequently. They had a great reputation and good products. It was a company I knew I could stand behind and be proud to work for.
7. Did you have a mentor, foreman or instructor that helped you or made an impact in your developing career? If so, who was it and why did they help?
Many people I have worked with such as Rich, Kevin and Dick have all helped me and continue to. There is always something to learn from anyone I work with.
8. If you could give advice to people looking to pursue a career in HVAC/construction what would it be.
It’s a great career that never gets old. Work hard and keep learning and take the time to understand what you are doing. It is a growing industry that needs more and more intelligent people in the future.
9. What are your hobbies or what do you like to do in your free time?
I like the outdoors where I enjoy fishing, hunting and camping.
10. If you could have dinner with anyone dead or alive who would it be, where would you go and why?
I’d take George Washington to Mt. Vernon. I would like to hear what he thinks about the world today.
11. If you could travel anywhere in the world where would it be and why?
Alaska – always wanted to visit.
12. Any additional comments or unique things you’d like us to know?
I have 4 great kids and 1 grandson.
We want to wish Charlie and his family a big congratulations on their newest addition. What an exciting time for them! Charlie is a true people-person with a strong work ethic and excellent communication and organizational skills. He contributes more than he knows to the success of Flow Tech. Thank you Charlie for all that you do!
Feel free to share this post. If you’d like to learn more about Charlie you can contact him directly. To learn more about our other employee features view them in our blog archive. Also, don’t for get to contact us with any questions, and of course we’d love you to connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, or Google+.
Nichole joined Flow Tech in 2013 as Director of Marketing. She leads our marketing communication initiatives including content marketing development, coordinating events and training, maintaining our digital presence and recruiting, as well as, some business development and office support. Nichole resides in Vernon with her husband Brian and son Roman. She enjoys hosting parties, cooking and lounging on the beach.