We are very fortunate to employ many experienced professionals at Flow Tech. We’d love for all 22 employees to work with us forever, but that’s just not realistic. With retirement in the near, or at least, not too far away future for 25% of our employees, and with the potential need for growth, we have the ongoing need to search for the next generation of Flow Tech talent. Finding the right candidate for any job is not an easy task and that’s exactly why we take our college recruitment efforts very seriously.
Over the years we’ve found that hiring summer interns is a great way to find the next generation of Flow Tech talent. The interns get to gain industry experience and work with a knowledgeable team while learning what it’s like to work for a smaller company and its culture. We get a feel for their potential, learn about their personalities and how they will fit in with our culture. We like to think of it as an extended interview. If at the end of the summer neither party thinks its the right fit, they can leave with the experience to add to their resume and we don’t have to spend the time and energy on-boarding a full-time employee. On the other hand, if both parties agree it’s a good fit, they end up with a full-time job and we end up with a semi-trained full-time employee. It’s really a win-win!
Although we’ve hired a couple different types of summer interns in the past, this year we’re strictly recruiting for Inside Sales Engineer Interns. Since the products and systems we sell are very technical and require a methodical salesperson, we mainly recruit for this type of internship among higher education institutes with Engineering or STEM Schools. We prefer students who are pursuing a mechanical or electrical engineering degree, and of course, the ideal intern needs to have the right energy and drive that translates well into a sales role. Below is a full job description for our summer interns.
2018 Summer Inside Sales Engineer Intern Description
About Flow Tech, Inc.
Flow Tech, Inc.’s mission is to provide products and services that have a direct effect on how commercial buildings operate. We pride ourselves in offering:
- The premier source of new VFD applications, retrofits and servicing all brands of existing VFDs
- The finest critical airflow control solution in the market providing a safe and energy-efficient environment for building occupants.
- The highest quality custom-built air-handling units providing a dependable means for building owners to provide conditioned air to occupants.
- Multiple technologies of heat recovery allowing owners to run their buildings at peak efficiencies.
- A service department that is educated and experienced and provides a level of service that goes above and beyond customer expectations.
We are a full-service heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment manufacturer’s representative celebrating over 25 years of business. We are located in South Windsor, CT and are looking for a motivated individual to help us reach the next level of success and fulfillment.
Our product lines include ABB variable frequency drives, Air Enterprises, Air Monitor Corporation, Aircuity, ebm-past, Inc., Heat Pipe Technology, M.K. Plastics, Phoenix Controls, Steril-Aire, TAMCO, Thermowheel, TMI Climate Solutions, ToxAlert, Twin City Fans and VAW Systems. We serve the pharmaceutical, research, healthcare, education, commercial and water and wastewater markets in Connecticut, Western Massachusetts, few counties in New York, and for some product lines, all of New England.
Key responsibilities entail coordinating with end-user customers, consulting engineers, vendors, manufacturers and the contracting tier. Duties will include equipment take-offs from plans and specifications, pricing, quoting, follow-up, troubleshooting over the phone and support of the sales organization. Considerable contact with a wide range of people via telephone and internet is required. Specific duties include:
- Equipment take-off from plans and specifications
- Product pricing based on phone conversations, as well as equipment take-offs
- Contact contractors to determine bidder lists for particular projects
- Prepare job quotes for projects and customers
- Provide customers with product information
- Proactive outbound calling to find out successful contracting bidders for project quotes
- Process customer orders within the company’s and vendors’ software platforms
- Order expediting
- Complete ongoing product training either in class or online
- Work with product vendors and manufacturers to assist and fulfill customer needs
- Availability during normal customer working hours (8 AM to 5 PM)
- Interact and support the outside sales team
- Smart, energetic, tough and persuasive
- Ambitious with a willingness to learn
- A people-person who can represent the company well with its customers.
- Likeable, engaging and fun to be around
- A clear and willing communicator who enjoys revealing how our products work
- Able and willing to confront tough issues, but in a way that leaves a positive emotional wake
- A doer- able to get things done, working independently
- The ideal candidate will have a strong work ethic, excellent communication and organizational skills, and a desire to build strong internal and external relationships.
Preferred but not Required Qualifications
- Electrical, mechanical or some sort of engineering background and/ schooling
- Sales experience
- Prior knowledge of HVAC equipment and systems
Evolution of the Position
The candidate will start as an Inside Sales Engineer Intern and work through the summer. For exceptional interns Flow Tech may offer them to continue working through the school year on a part-time basis, depending on their availability and school schedule.
Upon graduation, the intern could potentially be offered a full-time, permanent Inside Sales Engineer position. After 1 to 3 years, progression into an Outside Sales Engineer role is possible.
- Full-time, paid summer position
- Potential for part-time hours during school year
- Explore a rewarding prospective career opportunity
- Be mentored and learn from industry experts
- Gain valuable business/construction experience
- Product training and job site visits
At Flow Tech, Inc. we value a positive attitude and a belief in doing things right. Our employees are the foundation of our success and we make employee fulfillment our highest priority.
To be considered for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to Nichole Petersen, npetersen@FlowTechInc.com.
Flow Tech’s Fall College Career Fair Schedule
Next week starts college career fair season and we’ve got a packed schedule. See below for the dates and times of where we’ll be.
The University of Massachusetts Amherst Fall 2017 Engineering & Computer Science Career Fair
Tuesday, September 26, 2017
10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Flow Tech representatives attending: Evan Benoit and Kevin Wixom
The University of Connecticut Fall STEM Career Fair
Wednesday, September 27, 2017
11:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Flow Tech representatives attending: Mike Davis and Nichole Petersen
The University of New Haven Fall 2017 Career Fair
Thursday, September 28, 2017
1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Flow Tech representatives attending: Nichole Petersen and Kevin Wixom
The University of Hartford Engineering, Technology, and Architecture Fall Career Fair
Tuesday, November 7, 2017
11:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Flow Tech representatives attending: Evan Benoit and Nichole Petersen
If you or someone you know is interested in a career in Sales Engineering, we strongly encourage you to visit us at one of the above career fairs. You can also send your resume and cover letter to Nichole Petersen with the subject line, “2018 Summer Internship.” If you can’t make it to one of these career fairs don’t worry we plan on exhibiting again at the spring shows. Check back for an updated list on our internship page.