Flow Tech is extremely proud of our reputation for providing exceptional service within the AEC industry. We mention it frequently, but only because it’s true. We wouldn’t be where we are today without our dedicated service department. Today, we’re going to highlight one member of our service team individually- Derek Labbie. His birthday was earlier this month (May 3), so naturally we’ve made this belated birthday boy the employee feature of the month.
Prior to joining Flow Tech, Derek worked as a service technician for a local HVAC contractor and served as an HVAC building engineer. With his experience, it made perfect sense for him to become part of the Flow Tech team in early 2011. Derek is very skilled and hardworking, and is responsible for commissioning and servicing most of our product lines. Now let’s find out a little more about our Field Service Technician Derek…
1. What made you decide to pursue a technical construction career?
Technology has always been an interest/hobby of mine, computers and electronics in particular. I had my first personal computer in 1993. I felt it was wise to make a career out of something I enjoy.
2. What made you decide to go into HVAC specifically?
Along with my passion for computers and electronics I also had a great interest in mechanics. I was always working on motocross bikes and cars, HVAC was a career that fulfilled my interests.
3. What Technical College/ School did you go to?
I attended New England Technical Institute for a degree in HVAC/R in 2003-2004
4. What do you like best about working in this industry?
It is always changing which keeps it challenging and never boring.
5. How many years have you been in the industry?
6. What made you decide to accept your position with Flow Tech?
The opportunity to further my career in the controls field/project management was very exciting for me. At the time, Erik Schubert, a good friend of mine worked for Flow Tech too. He was in their service department and really enjoyed working for the company. It seemed like the right fit, and luckily it was.
7. Did you have a mentor, foreman or instructor that helped you or made an impact in your developing career? If so, who was it and why did they help?
Yes- Charlie Barber with Flow Tech. His patience, passion, determination, and diligence has inspired me working in the field.
8. If you could give advice to people looking to pursue a career in HVAC/construction what would it be?
Find a field that enables you to pursue your interests and passions, and one that keeps you motivated.
9. What are your hobbies or what do you like to do in your free time?
Motocross, mountain biking, cycling, hiking, camping
10. If you could have dinner with anyone dead or alive who would it be, where would you go and why?
Larry David. Let him decide. The man is a comical genius.
11. If you could travel anywhere in the world where would it be and why?
Somewhere tropical, this winter lasted too long.
Derek has been a wonderful addition to the Flow Tech team. I think he enjoys working here, as much as we enjoy having him. In question #9 he mentioned he likes Motocross, but what he didn’t mention was that his bike is an ode to Flow Tech. It features not only the Flow Tech logo, but several of our manufacturers’ logos as well. If that’s not dedication, I don’t know what is. We thank you Derek for all that you do, and we hope you had an excellent birthday month!
For more information about Derek, or Flow Tech’s service department reach out to us! Make sure to visit our website, connect with us and follow us. If you liked this post, please be sure to share with a friend.
Nichole joined Flow Tech in 2013 as Director of Marketing. She leads our marketing communication initiatives including content marketing development, coordinating events and training, maintaining our digital presence and recruiting, as well as, some business development and office support. Nichole resides in Vernon with her husband Brian and two sons. She enjoys hosting parties, cooking and lounging on the beach.